When we sign up for the gym or start to have a healthy lifestyle we begin to worry about the amount of vitamins and minerals that we incorporate into our body through food. One of the important vitamins for the body that protects us from cellular oxidation is vitamin E. It is a type of vitamin that must be taken into account, especially if you are an athlete. It helps us against cell oxidation by free radicals in different organs and tissues. There is a list of foods rich in vitamin E.
Therefore, we will dedicate this article to tell you everything you need to know about vitamin E, its importance and give you a list of foods rich in vitamin E.
This type of vitamin has become quite known in the world of sports since it has numerous fundamental functions for the development of the athlete. We can summarize the main functions of vitamin E in the following:
- It is a good antioxidant: that vitamins are an antioxidant means that it can protect our body tissue from the damage caused by the substances known by the name of free radicals. These free radicals attack our tissues, cells and organs. Scientists believe that these play a role in certain conditions that are related to the aging of people. Therefore, a good supply of vitamin E can reduce the effects of free radicals in our body.
- Maintains the immune system: This vitamin is also used to help our body maintain the immune system strong against various viruses and bacteria. It is important in the formation of red blood cells and helps our body to use vitamin K. Another main function is to dilate blood vessels and prevent blood from clotting. Therefore, a good contribution of vitamin E in our diet will help us to have a good blood circulation.
- The cells of our body use vitamin E to interact with each other. This can help them perform numerous functions such as improving our reflexes.
It is necessary to have more research on this vitamin to be able to say that it helps prevent cancer. There are numerous studies that are working to find out if vitamin E can help with heart disease, dementia, liver disease, and strokes.
Importance to vitamin E
The recommended daily amount of this vitamin and is between 15-20 milligrams a day. We cannot set a fixed amount as it depends on the age and context of the person. For example, pregnant or breastfeeding women will need a greater amount of vitamin E to reach their daily requirements. On the other hand, there are certain pathologies that also require increased intake of this vitamin. As more polyunsaturated fatty acids we introduce into our body we will also need a greater amount of vitamin E.
Let’s see what are the foods richest in this vitamin, although we already know what nuts have the most.
Foods rich in vitamin E
Let’s analyze what are those foods rich in vitamin E:
- Sunflower oil: Contains 48 milligrams per 100 grams of product. It is one of the foods with the highest content in this vitamin. It is a type of oil that comes from a seed and has a fairly high concentration. Although olive oil is prime in Spain, this type of oil is also used for seasoning and frying. One of the main uses of sunflower oil is to make homemade mayonnaise.
- Hazelnuts – contains an amount of 26 milligrams per 100 grams of product. As mentioned before, nuts are foods rich in vitamin E and great allies to incorporate these micronutrients into the body. With just a couple of handfuls of hazelnuts I already had poor daily needs covered with this vitamin. In addition, they should be eaten raw and we can use them in cooking with great healthy recipes.
- Almonds: contain 20 milligrams per 100 grams of product. Almond is a dried fruit that is consumed more often than hazelnut. Many of the main nuts contain significant amounts of this vitamin. Therefore, it is not very difficult to reach daily requirements.
- Peanuts: only 8 milligrams per 100 grams of product. However, it is one of the nuts that will top list foods rich in vitamin E. One of the advantages of peanuts is that it is very rich in minerals and we are used to eating raw peanuts or a fitness food known as peanut cream. With this food you can make numerous quite palatable meals.
- Canned in sunflower oil: Most canned fish come in sunflower oil. These preserves contain 6 milligrams per 100 grams of product. A single serving of canned food gives us much of the vitamin E we need every day.
Less known foods rich in vitamin E
Let’s move now to a few foods that also have vitamin E but are less known. They are also less used to reach daily requirements since their concentration is lower. Let’s see what they are:
- Pistachios: This dried fruit is very easy to incorporate into a diet, although it does not have as much this vitamin. Contains only 5 milligrams per 100 grams of product. Even if you don’t have a lot of it can help to reach the recommended daily amount.
- Olive Oil: Unlike sunflower oil, olive oil has less vitamin E. It is only 5 milligrams per 100 grams of product. Here you need to take into account calories and satiety. In low calorie diets we cannot use olive oil to achieve vitamin E requirements since it is very caloric and few satiating.
- Avocado: is a food that enjoys good popularity due to its high content of healthy fat. Its contribution of vitamin E is significant although it only has 3 milligrams per 100 grams of product.
- Asparagus: is the food with the least vitamin E content on the list. They only have 2.5 milligrams per 100 grams of product. It is a very complete food to get into the diet, especially in low-calorie diets. To some extent, it may be more interesting to get to daily quantities using asparagus rather than with avocado.
I hope that with this information you can learn more about foods rich in vitamin E.